You’ve worked hard and done the right thing and your credit is messed up because someone else screwed up. What do you do?
In these sceanarios…

1. You’re an authorized user on someone else’s

If you are an authorized user on someone else’s delinquent credit card account then the account is going to show up on your credit reports. Your scores could be damaged by the poor payment history of the primary cardholder and it could show up on a confused credit report.

Thankfully, it’s easy to remove the negative scores from your credit reports since, as merely an authorized user, you are not legally responsible for the debt.
To have an authorized user account removed from your reports you should first ask the primary cardholder to call his or her credit card issuer and ask for your name to be removed from the account. After your name is removed contact the credit bureaus and let them know that you’re no longer associated with the account and ask for it to be deleted from your credit reports.

2. Victim of identity theft
Victims of identity theft often have credit inquires and accounts show up on their credit reports because someone else has applied for, and opened, liabilities in their name. First thing you should do is file a police report. After filing a police report you need to contact the credit bureaus; Victims of identity theft are afforded many aggressive protections under the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

When a consumer notifies the credit reporting agencies that he or she has been a victim of identity theft the fraudulent accounts must be blocked from appearing on the consumer’s credit reports within four business days assuming you’re cooperative and provide them with the requisite forms so you can avoid a confused credit report.

3. Mixed credit report
A mixed credit report occurs when information belonging to someone else ends up on your credit report despite the fact that there is no relationship, at all, between the two debtors.
Mixed credit files can occur when you share a name with someone else and there is some other similarity between the two of you, such as a similar address. Mixed files can often occur when there’s a Jr. and Sr. living in the same house, even though they have different Social Security numbers.

Your challenge when dealing with a mixed credit report is finding someone at the credit bureaus willing to take the time to go over every single account and investigating the identification associated with it. Then, and only then, will it be permanently corrected. Prepare to show some proof.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Translate »